• Welcome to the Planning Permission Forum
  • Please register in order to post your own thread to get some answers!
  • Please browse the forum to view on-going discussions and matters
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loft conversion
I live in a house in England with two floors, however would like to convert my attic space for a loft conversion to have a third floor. In order to create the roof height I would like to put dormer windows in the front and rear of the roof.

Do I need planning permission for this?

(03-19-2017, 01:52 PM)sk_uk Wrote: I live in a house in England with two floors, however would like to convert my attic space for a loft conversion to have a third floor. In order to create the roof height I would like to put dormer windows in the front and rear of the roof.

Do I need planning permission for this?

Whether or not you need planning permission for a dormer window or roof extension depends on a number of factors.

A loft conversion for your house is permitted development, subject to the following:
  • A volume allowance of 40 cubic metres additional roof space for terraced houses
  • A volume allowance of 50 cubic metres additional roof space for detached and semi-detached houses
  • No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway
  • No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof
  • Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms
  • Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor
  • Roof extensions, apart from hip to gable ones, to be set back, as far as practicable, at least 20cm from the original eaves
  • The roof enlargement cannot overhang the outer face of the wall of the original house
A dormer window to the front of your house, if extending beyond the plane of the existing roof slope, would require permission. You however have permitted rights to construct a dormer window in the rear elevation, if set not less than 0.2m from the eaves and it does not exceed the highest part of the existing roof providing whilst ensuring the above are adhered to and the materials etc. used are of a similar appearance to the exterior of the existing dwelling.

The above permitted development rights are subject to you not being located within a sensitive area etc. where these rights have been removed or restricted.

Hope the above is of use.