• Welcome to the Planning Permission Forum
  • Please register in order to post your own thread to get some answers!
  • Please browse the forum to view on-going discussions and matters
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New house on agricultural land
I've come across this forum when googling this subject and thought I'd post for some advise...

I own a parcel of land in Wales which is currently used as agricultural land which can be accessed from a lane. It is fairly remote and not particularly near any other houses.

What are my chances of getting permission to build a new house to live in there?

(03-07-2017, 07:22 PM)k_jones54 Wrote: I've come across this forum when googling this subject and thought I'd post for some advise...

I own a parcel of land in Wales which is currently used as agricultural land which can be accessed from a lane. It is fairly remote and not particularly near any other houses.

What are my chances of getting permission to build a new house to live in there?

By the sounds the site is situated outside the ‘urban boundary’ within the countryside and potentially subject to a number of other landscape designations (SLA, coal safeguarding zone etc.).

The urban boundaries are identified to promote the full and effective use of urban land by defining the boundary between urban and countryside areas with proposals for new development in the open countryside being strictly controlled.

There would likely be an ‘in-principle’ issue here if you were to pursue an 'open market' residential dwelling if within the countryside. Broadly, the development for new residential dwelling(s) in the countryside would need to (a) constitute infilling; (b) be justified as a minor extension to an existing settlement, or; © justified as an affordable housing rural exception site.

Whilst some Councils adopt policies for the rehabilitation of buildings in the countryside it sounds as though you’re looking for a new build and could not benefit from this policy.

In addition to ‘in-principle’ issues there may be other material planning considerations which you would need to address, such as the loss of agricultural land (could be addressed if the land was of a low agricultural quality), access, ecology, other landscape designations e.g. within a coal safeguarding zone or special landscape area.

If you were to pursue further perhaps a pre-application enquiry to the Council would be useful to gain their views on the proposal. However, I would stress that new build open market residential dwellings in the countryside would likely be resisted by the Council.

Notwithstanding the above, the national policy (PPW - click here for a direct link) in Wales does include a provision to 'One Planet Development' which provides scope for new dwellings in the countryside. See link here for some useful information: One Planet Council. Whilst I have not be apart of an application for such a use/building, I understand it is fairly stringent and you would need to adhere to a management plan etc. in order to lawfully benefit from this provision. A relevant extract from PPW is here: 

"Land based One Planet Developments located in the open countryside should provide for the minimum needs of the inhabitants in terms of income, food, energy and waste assimilation over a period of no more than 5 years from the commencement of work on the site. This should be evidenced by a management plan produced by a competent person(s). The management plan should set out the objectives of the proposal, the timetable for development of the site and the timescale for review. It should be used as the basis of a legal agreement relating to the occupation of the site, should planning consent be granted."

Hope the above is of some use. Please post back if you wish to discuss this further.